A bite of a burger, checking navigation, and flipping through music can be an accident waiting to happen, and that is why April of every year attention is brought to the seriousness of driving while distracted.
Even the best drivers are taking a risk when they multitask on the road. Here are some facts to consider.
- One in four car accidents in the US is caused by texting and driving.
- It takes up to thirteen seconds to re-focus your surroundings after looking up from a cell phone, even just a glance.
- Eating while driving poses an even bigger risk than talking on a cell phone.
- 96% of people think texting while driving is dangerous – yet 44% do it.
- According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 71% of large truck accidents involved the driver doing something other than just driving the vehicle.
- And more.
So although your kids may be bickering and your phone may be pinging, please keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road, and let’s keep ourselves, our families, and each other, safe out there.