Off To College: Don’t Forget To Pack An Insurance Policy.

As a student you have a lot to think about before heading to college.  Your parents parents too. As you register for classes and secure living accommodations, don’t forget about protecting yourself and your belongings with a Renters insurance policy. 

It may seem like a college student does not have a lot in terms of valuables, but laptops, TVs, jewelry, shoes, and art supplies can add up to thousands of dollars.  Money that a student may not have the means to replace. 

“When a student is living off-campus, even if it’s not required by the landlord, Renters insurance protects personal property from theft, fire, and water damage,” explains EPB&B Personal Lines Account Manager Denice Nelson.  “Renters policies also carry personal liability in case of injury on their property.”  

As a student, having Renters coverage protects you from an injured party going after your parent’s liability too. In addition, the loss of use coverage offered in a Renters policy also includes additional living expenses that may incur if your home becomes unsuitable to live in due to a covered loss.

A typical Renters policy also referred to as an HO4, consists of 4 main coverages:

Personal property

-Loss of use

-Personal Liability


“A $500 deductible is fairly standard, and depending on the amount of content chosen, and they can run as low as $10 a month,” says Denice.  

A good investment for great piece of mind allowing you to focus on academics (and some fun) at school. 
Contact Us For more information on what type of policy is right for you, or your student.

Share this blog -