The pandemic may be fading away, but online shopping is still going strong. In the US alone, e-commerce is expected to surpass 740 billion by 2023. That means many packages are hitting the front porches of people across the country. The good news is we have access to a fast, efficient shopping experience; the bad news is there are more thieves out there looking to steal our stuff.
Protect yourself and your purchase by following some simple precautions.
- Use a video doorbell: Video doorbells such as Ring will help you catch any criminal in the act on video for you to give to the police. As a bonus,it will also notify you when your package is delivered!
- Track your packages: All major delivery services provide package tracking. Knowing when your package is expected to arrive and where and when it is delivered is valuable in keeping your items safe. Many drivers take pictures of your packages as confirmation of delivery.
- Use a secure delivery box: No need to rush home to get your package before a thief does, instead consider a locked delivery box. If you live in a high-traffic area where your items might be targeted, this might be something to consider.
- Have a hiding spot: Many online vendors provide a space for delivery instructions. At checkout, there is space to indicate a spot for drivers to place your items that are out of sight for passersby.
- Have packages delivered to your office. For a more secure delivery option, have the shipping company send packages to your place of work where there is someone there to intercept them other than a porch pirate.
You work hard to afford the things you want and need. Don’t let someone else grab them from you. Thieves are looking for easy and quick opportunities. The harder you make it for them to get away undetected, the less likely they are to target your home.
Here are some steps to take if you are on the receiving end of porch piracy.