Get a quote

Personal Insurance
Commercial Insurance

Serving the Pacific Northwest for over 60 years


subscribe to our newsletter

worker's compensation

How can I get workers' compensation insurance?

Click here to download and complete a workers' compensation application.  You can email it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or fax it to 503-274-7644.

What is it?

Workers' compensation is a type of insurance that can provide wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured in the course and scope of employment.   

Who needs it?

Just about every employer needs this insurance.  That is to say, if you own a business, and that business has at least one employee, you are likely required by law to carry this type of insurance.

Who pays the premiums?

The employer pays the premiums.

Anything else I should know?

You should know the difference between an "employee" and an "independent contractor."  If you own a business, and a person does work for you in exchange for payment AND you are in charge of the way the job is done, that person is probably your employee - and you should have workers' compensation insurance.  There are ways to determine whether or not a worker is an "employee" or an "independent contractor".  Check applicable laws or contact us for more information.


Some policies are different from what's described here.  Be sure to read and understand your individual insurance policy.



 Articles in this category



Congratulations to EPB&B and RFP Clients, Portland Art Museum and Lan Su Garden who were both chosen to particpate in the 2013 SAIF Comp News Calendar.  The theme of the 2013 calendar is Art.  SAIF Representatives made a special trip to each participant's location to deliver a copy of the calendar and present them with a collage of the photographs.  Pictured above at The Portland Art Museum are J.S. May, Chief Advancement Officer of Portland Art Museum; Brenda Rocklin, President and CEO of SAIF; John Gilkey, SAIF Sr. Vice President of Policyholder Services & Programs; Shannon Rickard, Vice President of Legal Services at SAIF and Frank Baccellieri from EPB&B.

SAIF Corporation’s Board of Directors announced a $120 million dividend to be paid during October to more than 47,000 eligible policyholders with policy expiration dates in 2014. Each policy holder will receive approximately 23 to 27 percent of the premium they paid.

 The dividend is possible because of SAIF’s overall financial results, including investment returns and favorable trends in claim costs produced by workplace safety and health efforts. We appreciate the contributions of the agencies represented on our councils—and all of our independent agent partners—in helping us achieve these results.

Go to top